Thursday, April 21, 2022

Art kerfuffle of the day

 Stuart Semple has a well-publicized, highly entertaining feud with Anish Kapoor. According to the email I received, 

KAPOOR HAS FINALLY UNVELIED WHAT HE'S BEEN DOING WITH VANATABLACK THIS WHOLE TIME



AND IT'S NOTHING BIG OR CLEVER!

Hi Rebecca

I always knew this day would come. A day where finally Anish Kapoor would show us all what he needed the exclusive rights over Vantablack for. 

After years and years in the making...

Little did I expect I'd wake up to mainstream newspapers trying to provoke another chapter of the art war, to promote his art show at the Venice Biennale. 

Does his work above look familiar? 

THAT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE IT'S ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THIS PIECE I MADE WITH OUR BLACK 3.0 A FEW MONTHS AGO!

... Anyway, Semple is offering his own Biennale in a Box:

I've made a replica of his work, that he's unveiling at the Biennale. I want *everyone to be able to have it if they like, because art should be for everyone!

*usual exclusions apply

My note: I love that his asterisk refers to the "usual exclusions," which constitute his quite unusual exclusions for Kapoor and anyone associated with him.

1 comment:

Yvette Joy said...

Unvelied???  Ya think he could at least get a major word in the headline spelled correctly.