Thursday, August 03, 2006

Gone in 60 Milliseconds

Here's a draft of the paper I'm giving at the Berkeley IP Scholars conference next week, Gone in 60 Milliseconds: Trademark Law and Cognitive Science. I always feel odd about putting "don't cite or quote" on these things, even though I understand why others do it -- being able to be tentative, sometimes in a small audience, is important, and the norms of scholarly discourse are different from the strictures of copyright law. But this draft will inevitably circulate beyond my closest colleagues. So I'll just ask that people recognize this as a draft, and if you want to cite or quote it, please just be willing to update the reference if and when it's published.

Oh, and if you want to see a very sweet baby, you can go here instead. Google Pages is a nice beta service and a great place to put smallish files, though I find Google Calendar more useful day-to-day. The way I feel about Google is sort of the way I feel about academia: you mean, I get paid for doing this? You mean, they give you this stuff for free?

I'm a little worried it will all go away, which is why I've been reading the Perfect 10 briefs with interest. It will probably surprise no one who reads this blog that I'm with Google on these issues. I thought the EFF brief in particular did a very good job of disentangling the various rights, with repeated reference to Tony Reese's excellent article on the display right on the internet.

No comments: